Parent Visas

These visas are for parents whose age is equivalent to a person who is eligible for an Australian Age Pension.

An aged parent making a parent visa application will NOT immediately be entitled to an Age pension after being granted a permanent visa. All new Australian permanent residents must wait ten (10) years before eligible to receive the Age pension (unless these is a reciprocal agreement with another country that pays you a pension) or Disability pension.

Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 864)

This visa is for you if you are an elderly parent of a child or stepchild who, at the time the visa application is lodged, is 'settled' and either an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. This means your child must have been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, normally two (2) years, although a shorter period can be considered for Australia citizen children if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances.

In addition, you must be able to demonstrate one of the following:

  • At least half of your children are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who are usually resident in Australia; or
  • You have more children living in Australia as Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens than in any other country.

Your partner and other dependent family members may be included in your application provided they satisfy certain requirements.

Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 884/173)

This visa allows aged parents who are in Australia on a temporary basis and who have children living in Australia, to live in Australia for two (2) years. You CANNOT extend or renew this visa.

If you are granted this visa and want to live in Australia permanently, you must apply for a permanent visa before this temporary visa expires. Once you are in Australia, you can only apply for one of the following substantive visas:

  • Contributory Parent (Residence) visa (subclass 864/143)
  • Protection (permanent) visa
  • Medical Treatment (temporary) visa

This visa requires that you be sponsored by your child, or another eligible sponsor in Australia.


Child Visas

Child (Permanent) (Subclass 802/101)

This visa is a permanent visa that allows a child to remain in Australia with their parent. The parent must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

The parent must act as sponsor for the child and can lodge the visa application on behalf of the child. This visa is for a child under 25 years of age who wants to remain in Australia with their parent.

Orphan Relative (Permanent) (Subclass 837/117)

This visa is a permanent visa for children from overseas under 18 years of age whose parents are unable to care for them. It allows a child who is an orphan relative to remain in Australia.

Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)

This is a temporary visa for a child or stepchild of a parent who holds a temporary partner visa and has NOT YET been granted a permanent partner visa.

This means that the child's parent must hold one of the following visas:

  • Temporary Partner visa (subclasses 309 or 820)
  • Temporary Spouse visa (subclasses 309 or 920)
  • Temporary Interdependency visa (subclasses 310 or 826)

Applicants for this visa will require sponsorship from the same person sponsoring the child's visa-holding parent.

Adoption (Permanent) (Subclass 102)

For children from overseas who have been or about to be adopted by an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent visa, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

For more information on the legal criteria for an applicant and a sponsor above, please contact one of our Migration Agents.